Saturday, May 31, 2008

More please!

Last night Bo and I rented I Am Legend, starring Will Smith. I've heard good things about the movie and I know the book it is based off of is supposed to be quite good, but I found the movie to be a bit of disappointment. There were so many interesting ideas hinted at in the movie, but there was no follow through on these ideas. The basic idea behind the movie was only sparsely sketched out and much was left to speculation. Not that I mind speculating about what is going on in a movie, I just think too much was left out.

The movie felt like it was very short and over too quickly. When it was over, I understood that there was a virus, where the virus came from and that this virus killed almost everyone. But I was left wondering why specific people were immune and did all the people who survive have immunity or were some just lucky? Why was New York City considered "ground zero" of the infection? Why was finding a cure Neville's responsibility when another scientist was the one who invented the virus? At least, I think that opening bit indicated that the "cancer cure virus" was the one that caused all the problems.

I just think the film could have done a much better job of probing the depths of this story. It felt more like the series premier of a new TV show rather than a full-length movie! Despite that, I think Will Smith did a very good job in this movie and the sets for the abandoned New York City were very impressive.

1 comment:

Steven said...

I agree and disagree with you, Liz. My respect for Will Smith as an actor increased somewhat after watching I Am Legend. He handled many of his solo scenes, especially the dark claustrophobic ones, quite well. (Then again, I like his blockbuster movies and most of Pursuit of Happyness so what does that say about me?)

The CG monsters could've been much better and scarier. The sets were amazing, though.

As for the story, I wasn't expecting much from it since they considerably altered it from the original, especially with the dog. Matheson's ending (and the entire story, really) haunts you with its grimness and pessimism, which is the opposite feeling of the movie. However, the movie is better storytelling-wise than the original story. Actually, I found that the comic book version that was recently reprinted captures the mood of the original story excellently and faithfully.

Have you or Bo seen the version with Charlton Heston in it? It is very weird.