Saturday, January 5, 2008

Movie Update

As I mentioned in my New Year's post, I went to see Sweeny Todd on New Year's day with some friend. It proved to be an interesting mix of people because some of us had seen the musical before and some hadn't. I have seen it before, during college, so I was prepared for all the death.

Anyway, Sweeny Todd is a rather violent film by its very nature. The plot requires lots of death and it wouldn't be Sweeny Todd without it. However, if you can look beyond the violence, the film itself its really amazing. Tim Burton captures the eerie, dark and depressing feel of the period while letting the whimsy of Sondheim's music and lyrics shine through. The movie did a great job of brining Sondheim's work to the big screen without many cuts or alterations. I was very please that Burton didn't pull any punches, though I think they went a little overboard on the blood. The staging of the songs was well doneI especially liked the "House by the Beach" song sung by Mrs.. Lovett. Johnny Depp and Helena Bohnam Carter are wonderful in the lead roles. Carter's vocal ability isn't as strong as I'd like, but her acting makes up for it. Depp really surprised me with his vocals, but then, he constantly surprises me with his versatility and talent. Alan Rickman also did a great job, but he was overshadowed by the rest of the cast. Overall, a great movie if you can stomach a little blood. If the blood scares you off then you'll probably enjoy the movie just fine on a smaller screen. While the big screen is always better, it isn't necessary to enjoy Sweeny Todd.


And the list is still quite long:
Martian Child
Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium
August Rush
Juno
I Am Legend
Atonement
P.S. I Love You
Grace is Gone
The Water Horse

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree with your observations, Liz, and found myself enjoying it, even though I am ambivalent to musicals on principle. (Don't ask.) The singing wasn't distracting enough to be noticeable, although I did notice pitch-shifting all over the place - not that that's a bad thing, mind you. It was surprisingly good. Sacha Baron Cohen put in a really good, low-key cameo.

I've seen I Am Legend, Juno, and Golden Compass. Golden Compass was good, but I felt it was a little rushed and that something crucial was missing. I don't know if I'll read the books or not. Can't wait to hear what you think of the other two.