Thursday, January 10, 2008

Movie Update

Time for yet another movie update. I realize its close on the heels of the last one, but I saw this movie last night and enjoyed it so much that I just had to write it up as soon as possible!

So, last night I went to see Juno. This movie now ranks among my all time favorite movies. It is that good. It is fantastic! For once, I have absolutely no complaints about a movie. Everything was so well done. The writing, the casting, the acting, the music, the timing....everything was just wonderful. Now, I realize that not everyone will appreciate this movie in the same way I did. It does take a certain mindset and sense of humor to appreciate Juno. However, I think anyone can appreciate the tactful and positive way that the movie addresses complex issues like divorce, teen pregnancy and adoption. I mean, most movies or TV shows portray these things as inherently negative and damaging to anyone involved. At the end of the movie, everyone is in a good place and everyone has a happy ending despite getting pregnant or divorced. I really respect that.

Also, I have to say that hearing several Moldy Peaches songs, including one of my favorite songs by them, was great fun. Their music is just so quirky and upbeat. So much fun to listen to. Bo and I were singing along with the final song. I know I'm going to be getting Juno when it comes out on DVD and I will probably be getting the soundtrack as well, which is something that I rarely do.

The updated, still-to-be-viewed list:
August Rush
I Am Legend
Atonement
P.S. I Love You
Grace is Gone
The Water Horse

(I've dropped a few movies because they have already left theaters. I'll have to wait until they come out on DVD.)

3 comments:

Steven said...

I'm happy to see that you were able to catch Juno. Despite a few minor flaws, it's easily one of the best films of the past year.

Were you there when the Moldy Peaches went to Oberlin during our time there? I caught the tail-end of their concert at the Cat and saw a band dressed up in random costumes with Kimya Dawson (I think) as a circus clown.

Liz said...

I'm curious about what you think the flaws in the movie.

Bo and I both went to the Moldy Peaches concert at Oberlin. That's when I really started to like the It was kinda fun and a little funny because we were the only people in the crowd that really rocked out. The band was dressed up and Kimya did look kinda like a clown. She made this great joke about being at Oberlin and wearing "white face."

Steven said...

(Sorry for the delay - school started this week for me.)

Much of Juno's dialogue in the first third was interesting, but a little annoying and slightly unrealistic. Once they eased up on trying to be overly clever, it got a lot better. It did a good job of setting Juno up for the second half of the story, though.

The abortion clinic episode seemed a little too peaceful to me. Then again, much of the movie wasn't about being absolutely realistic, which has its own merits.

Compared to the rest of the movie, Juno's humor and character turn easily overshadowed whatever small annoyances I had.

The Village Voice this week has an interesting profile on Dawson here:

http://tinyurl.com/22cnqz