Thursday, January 31, 2008

Routine

Sad as it is, I have come to the realization over the past year or so that I need a set routine in order to function. Well, I can function without a routine, but I do much better when I do have one. I just get more done when I have a schedule that tells me what I'm supposed to be doing.

Now, I'm not talking about an intense, minute-to-minute plan. I'm just talking about a general plan for how my week is supposed to go. Class at this time, work at this time, studying during these hours, meals, personal time, etc. If I got it planned out, then I work more effectively and I feel more in control of my life. Without this schedule, I tend to slack off, procrastinate and generally be a lazy bum. If things changes from week to week and don't follow my schedule, then I don't get all the things done that I need to get done. I suppose its good that I know this about myself, but it makes me feel a little sad. I'd like to think that I'm a more together person than that, but I have to face the facts. I need organization and routine in my life. This semester is proving difficult because I can't seem to find a steady routine that works. Things keep changing week to week and its really throwing my off my stride.

Bo says I'm just trying to do too much. He tells me I need to back off a little and take it easy, but I already feel like I'm being lazy when I spend every evening hanging out with him and not doing work that needs to get done. Besides, if I don't do all the things that I have planned, then I won't do well in my classes, I won't do well at work and I won't do all those little things that I want to do. I don't know who is right in this situation, but I do know that I am a creature of habit and there's not much I can do about it, even if I don't like it.

No comments: