Monday, December 3, 2007

Movies

So, the holiday season is upon us and that means that its time for a ridiculous amount of new movie releases. There's a lot of movies that are coming out or are already out that I want to see. In light of this, I decided to start a list of what I want to see. As an extra bonus, I'll also keep track of movies I've already seen and add my two cents of reviews. I'm sure my readers have similar taste in movies, though I admit that some of these movies do lay bare my squishy, girly delight in feel-good movies and romances. Please forgive my weakness.

Feel free to comment on movies I haven't seen yet, but please don't ruin them for me!

Haven't seen yet:
Martian Child
Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium
August Rush
Enchanted
The Golden Compass
Juno
I Am Legend
Atonement
P.S. I Love You
Grace is Gone
Sweeney Todd
The Water Horse


Seen it:
Dan in Real Life - Somewhat disappointing and not what I expected. Steve Carrell and Dane Cook are amusing together, but the rest of the movie is rather trite and formulaic. One good bit was the 3 girls playing Carrell's daughters. They were a lot of fun.

Beowulf - Visually, a great movie to watch on the big screen. Those of you who are avid video gamers will feel somewhat like you are watching the extended cut scenes from a game, but its still really pretty! As for content, I wasn't very impressed. I feel like I was watching the movie Cliff's Notes version of Beowulf. I know that it is a long and complicated epic, but I think more could have been done to really dig in to the story and the characters instead of just providing quick overviews of everything.

1 comment:

Steven said...

Thanks for the word on Dan and Beowulf. They sound like they fall into the "rental" category.

I haven't seen any of the movies you listed, but I find it interesting that many of them are adaptations from novels or center around music.

Funny story: earlier this year when I was still working at B&N, I was working the front registers as a bookseller and some teenager was buying a copy of Beowulf, presumably in anticipation of the film. I commented to his mom who was buying the book by saying, "Oh, you got the bilingual version (Seamus Heaney's translation). Nice." As soon as I finished saying nice, the mom yells at her son, "Hey you got the bilingual version! Go find a normal one!"

Okay, it's not so much a funny "ha ha" story as it is sad.