Friday, December 14, 2007

Working

So, I'm back at the museum, working in the Discovery Room. This time, however, I'm getting paid. Which is awesome. I really like working here. Its so much fun hanging out in the Discovery Room. I get to play with kids or just watch kids play. Kids make up the best games and its so easy for them! Today, there was this group from an elementary school that came in. A bunch of them spontaneously started playing this game on our pond rug. I have no idea what the game was about or how it was played, but all of them understood the rules and were having a great time playing. One of the adults with them asked me if that was how they were supposed to play over there, if they were playing the right game in that area. I told him I had no idea what they were playing, but that it didn't matter. There wasn't a right game to play.

I think working in environments like this is what keeps me feeling so young. The kids I see everyday help me remember what it is like to be young and full of wonder. They are so creative and excited about everything they see. I especially like it when they try to act like their too old for the Discovery Room and then end up having so much fun that they forget about being too old and just enjoy themselves.

I hope working with kids will always keep me feeling young, full of wonder and excited about the world. I know that a lot of people working in my field often suffer from burnout because we work so very hard and get very little support and feedback (not to mention small paychecks), but I hope I can always turn to the kids and refresh myself with their enthusiasm.

No comments: